Carob Date Ice Cream
Servings: 6 – 8
- 70ml the Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 200g of dates
- 600ml whipping cream
- 300ml milk
- ½ tbsp vanilla essence
- 6 eggs yolks
- A pinch of salt
- Roughly chop the dates.
- Place the dates, cream, milk and vanilla essence in a saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring continuously. Remove pan from heat and purée the mixture with a blender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the salt. Then, slowly stir the yolks into the pan and return it to the stove. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a container, cover it with plastic wrap (so it doesn’t form a skin) and leave to cool. To speed up the process, place mixture bowl in cold water. Then pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture for 2 hours, stir it and repeat this process twice before serving.