Salted Manuka Honey Ice Cream
- 150g Tasmanian Manuka Honey
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt crystals
- 250ml double (heavy) cream
- Put the milk into a medium sized pan (heavy based) over medium heat. Heat until warm.
- Add Tasmanian Manuka Honey a stir through until dissolved. Take off the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl for 2-3 minutes until thicker and paler.
- Pour the warm milk onto the yolks, whisking continuously.
- Pour the custard mix back into the pan and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Take off the heat. Grind the salt in a pestle and mortar until fine. Tip into the custard and mix well.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, cover with clingfilm (to stop a skin forming) and cool. Once cold, transfer to the fridge to chill overnight. (or for at least 4 hours)
- When ready to churn remove the clingfilm, pour in the cream a stir until thoroughly combined
- Pour the custard into ice cream maker and churn.
- Serve immediately.