Sticky Pork Ribs with Carob Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Slather your next pork rib rack with this homemade carob barbecue sauce!
- 4.4 lbs (2 kgs) pork spare ribs
- 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) carob bbq sauce
Carob BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp The Australian Carob Co. Roasted Carob Powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced/ 300°F).
For the BBQ sauce, combine all the ingredients together in a small saucepan, stirring until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place ribs in a large roasting pan with the onion. In a large jug combine 1-litre water with ¼ cup of the BBQ sauce, stirring to combine. Pour over the ribs and tightly cover with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 2 ½ hours or until ribs are very tender.
Remove ribs from the oven, drain off cooking liquid and remove onion. Turn the oven off. Pour the prepared sauce over the ribs, cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
An hour before serving remove ribs from the refrigerator, so they come up to room temperature. Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced/400°F).
Place covered ribs in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
Serve ribs with a slaw and finger bowl.