Spiced Carob Pecan Pie Recipe
Pecan pie is the classic Autumn dessert without which no Thanksgiving is complete. It shares the stage with pumpkin pie and apple pie!
PECAN PIE FILLING
- 2 1/2 cups (300 gms) whole pecan nuts
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (220 gms) dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 gms) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsps brandy
- 1/3 cup (35 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1 tbsp gluten free plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsps orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
SWEET CAROB SHORTCRUST PASTRY
- 1 1/4 cups (185 gms) gluten-free plain flour
- 1/4 cup (25 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 stick (115 gms) unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tbsp The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsps cold water
For the shortcrust pastry, place flour, carob powder, sugar, xanthan gum and salt together in a food processor, pulsing until combined. Add diced butter, pulsing until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
In a small bowl combine carob syrup and yolk, stirring until combined. Add to the flour mixture, pulsing until combined. Add 1 tablespoon water and pulse until dough just comes together. Add extra water, if required to form a dough. Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper and line a 22cm (9″) fluted loose bottom tart tin with the pastry and prick the base. Place the tart tin on a baking tray in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fans forced/325°F).
Place the tart tin on a baking tray in preheated oven for 20 minutes to blind bake. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C (140°C fan-forced/300°F).
For the pie filling, finely chop half the pecan nuts for the filling, setting aside until required. Set the remaining whole nuts aside to decorate the pie top.
In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, carob syrup, melted butter, brandy, carob powder, flour, spices, zest and vanilla, stirring until well-combined. Add chopped pecan nuts, stirring until combined. Carefully pour the mixture into the blind-baked tart shell and decorate the top with reserved whole pecan nuts.
Place the tart tin on a baking tray in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden and set.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Serve carob pecan pie with whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream).