CAROB BEEF RENDANG
- 1 1/2(600g) pound boneless beef short ribs marinate with 1tbsp Carob Powder (cut into cubes)
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 pcs tamarind slice
- 200ml thick coconut milk
- 200ml water
- 1 stalk lemongrass (4-inch length and pounded)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 Lemon leaves
- 3 Turmeric leaves
- 6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)
- 2 tablespoons Carob Syrup to taste
- 1 tablespoon Salt to taste
- 10-12 dried chilies (soaked in warm water and seeded)
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch galangal
- 5 Candlenuts
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 shallots
- 3 stalks lemongrass (about 4 inch and pounded)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
1) Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.
2) Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry them until aromatic.
3) Add the beef, tamarind slices and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
4) Add the coconut milk, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
5) Add the kaffir lime leaves, lemon leaves, turmeric leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), Carob Syrup to stirring to blend well with the meat.
6) Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up.
7) Add salt to taste. If not sweet enough, add more Carob Syrup to taste.
Serve immediately with steamed rice/Lontong and save some for overnight.
To prepare the kerisik or toasted coconut, just add the grated coconut to a dry wok and stir continuously until they turn golden brown.